SamSung Galaxy S5 -- by Xylon 2017
From Savvy Humans Know Tech
I bought this phone late 2016, choosing it because:
- CyanogenMod (now LineageOS) supports it, so I can run it mostly Free Software.
- Easily obtainable here in England, second-hand.
- It's a high-end phone with a large screen.
Like Samsung phones I've owned previously, I found it easy to flash the new operating system on it.
In addition to installing LineageOS, I updated the modem firmware, following the instructions here: https://ohthehugemanatee.org/blog/2015/04/04/how* -and-why-to-update-the-modem-slash-baseband-firmware-on-a-samsung-phone/. In the heimdall command I had to use --MODEM instead of --MDM.
Good things about this phone include:
- Nice screen. The pixel density is huge and the colors are very good.
- Looks awesome in gold.
- Works well. All hardware is working with LinageOS including GPS and compass etc.
Of course I didn't install the proprietary "Gapps", and instead used options from F-Droid. My favourite apps are:
- OsmAnd~ - Free software satnav
- Odyssey - really nice music player
- Document Viewer - to open PDFs
- LibreOffice Viewer - open office documents
- Hacker's Keyboard - so much better than the stock keyboard
- Termux - get a proper GNU command line!
- Share via HTTP - shares a file in the local wifi network
- NoNonsense Notes - a note app, can make multiple pages of notes.
|Model:||Samsung Galaxy S5, gold|
|Processor:||Quad-core 2.5 GHz Krait 400|
SD card expansion possible
|Connectivity:||top: audio headphone jack, 3.5mm
bottom: microusb port
|Camera:||Primary: 16 MP, f/2.2, 31mm, phase detection autofocus, LED flash
Secondary: 2 MP, f/2.4, 22mm
|Screen:||5.1 inches, 1080 x 1920 pixels|
|Full specs:||Samsung Galaxy S5 - Full phone specifications|